Well, we are still in the process of weaning Taden from his soother (binky, pacifier) and let me tell you, it is hard work! It's been such a habit for Taden, but it's also been such a habit for us to just pop it in his mouth whenever, so WE are having to break the habit too, which means we're having to work extra hard at keeping Taden busy or distracted so he doesn't "miss" his soother. If we have any down time, he starts missing it and getting fussy. Needless to say, we're worn out! :) I have noticed the last couple days that he has put his finger or hand in his mouth and I'm wondering...is he going to switch to sucking a finger or thumb when he doesn't have his soother? If I see him start to suck his finger, should I replace it with the soother, even though we're trying to NOT let him have it?
Most of what I could find about weaning from pacifier use says to do so around 18 months (which you are) and that it will actually decrease ear infections/problems anywhere from 33-50%. One website said to dip it in pickle juice before giving it to him, but I don't think that will help with Taden since he loves my pickles! :) This website seemed kind of helpful: http://www.swedish.org/16592.cfm.
ReplyDeleteHi Marce- I tried getting on that website and couldn't find it - any helpful hints for me? :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Marci - that website WAS really good - I actually printed off the article to keep on hand for future reference :)
ReplyDelete